NFCP Update! September 2018
The NFCP, in collaboration with the Upper Fraser Fisheries Conservation Alliance, recently prepared a report to address:
• the status, management and conservation initiatives for Chinook and sockeye salmon that utilize the Nechako River;
• regional and local trends for Chinook and sockeye production in the Fraser River;
• Chinook and sockeye monitoring practices;
• potential stressors on Nechako salmon productivity including climate change and marine survival variations; and,
• improved conservation practices.
The report includes three main recommendations:
1. A recovery planning process for Early and Late Stuart sockeye is required to identify options for stock recovery in an era of changing climate and low marine and freshwater productivity;
2. There needs to be improved marine-based monitoring and assessment of Upper Fraser Chinook; and,
3. A feasibility evaluation is required for a Nechako Chinook Conservation Hatchery that would serve as a coded-wire tagging platform to improve the management of Upper Fraser Chinook.